25 October 2011

Darshan: Visions of the Divine - Live!

So there I was online last night wondering what it was that I wanted to google - a regular occurance where I sit for a few seconds, think and just google the first thing that comes to mind only to remember when I'm not online what it was that I wanted to check in the first place!  Sometimes its just a waste of time (some would call wasting time a pet hobby of mine), sometimes something unexpected and truly fascinating brings itself to the fore.  Last night I hit the jackpot!

It started of having remembered, during the few seconds of wondering, that during the last trip to India before we went to the Golden Temple in Amritsar (Sri Harimandir Sahib), I tried researching about accommodation etc by quizzing my trusted  friend Google (and asking friendly fellow travellers - you find unfriendly ones as well but who would want to ask them?).  Although not exactly related - found on the usually neglected non-first-page search results - there was a link informing users that there is live streaming from the temple.  The link piqued my interest but due to the slow internet speed (was using a Vodafone Mobile Connect USB Stick (believe it is faster now than when I was there) - easy to get if any foreigners visiting India want to get connected with as little hassle as is possible in India (N.B: I paid for the device and the usage thereof hence this recommendation has nothing to do with any personal/financial interest in Vodafone ;) )) and focus on accommodation, I decided to make a mental note of it - I did not know about Evernote at that time.

Having relatively faster internet (reception below road level in Elf Place is a schlep.  Thank God for Cell C - refer to N.B in the paragraph above),  time and short-time memory loss, I decided to google "golden temple amritsar live streaming" and found among the search results SikhNet Radio which has several channels which you can listen to.  Enjoyed listening to some Shabads and Gurbanis.  Brought back wonderful memories of the divine atmosphere at Sri Harimandir Sahib - and yes, the langhar!

Then the thought crossed my mind how nice it would be to able to have darshan of some of the temples that we had visited in India.  Asking my friend Google again I came across a site beyond any expectations EVER - a site offering LIVE DARSHAN AT SRI KASHI VISHWANATH MANDIR!!!

Kashi Vishwanath
Situated in the holiest of holy cities Kashi (Varanasi), Kashi Vishwanath is one of the 12 Jyotirlingas and the main temple in Varanasi, the oldest surviving city of the world and the cultural capital of India, the city where I was supposed to be born and the city my family and I spend most of the time when we're in India.  Darshan at the temple is an experience beyond words!  Now thanks to modern technology, we are able to experience a fraction of the vibrations which can be felt at the temple of Vishwanath (literally meaning "Lord of the Universe").

More good news from Google, live streaming of Tirupati Balaji will soon be coming soon!  If anyone has links for other sites offering live darshan, please add it to the comments section :)

हर हर महादेव !!!

5 comments:

  1. Dear Bharat, thank you for the wonderful blog! I enjoyed it tremendously. Please write more often....
    You have brought wonderful memories of our last trip to India. I concur about the atmosphere at the Golden Temple and certainly the palpable presence of the Lord at Kasi Vishwanath! We are hoping to go to Varanasi later this year.
    ragini

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ragini

    Thank you very much! I sometimes have thoughts about what I want to write but when I get to the pc either I forget or the thoughts are just too complex/long to put to words so I just google lol!

    Indeed the Golden Temple and Kashi Vishwanath are both very spiritual places but to me there is a big difference.

    What I like about the Golden Temple is the ease of access, the peaceful atmosphere and the dignity, humility and general pleasant nature of the devotees there - no one hassles you, there's no noise, there is discipline etc. It somewhat reminds me of being in the ashram at Asherville! At Kashi Vishwanath it is the total opposite!

    But for me personally the feeling I get at the Golden Temple is as if I'm at the doorway to the Divine whereas at Kashi Vishwanath it is as if I am in His presence! Seeing it that way it makes sense that access is more difficult and having to put up with the dootas and bhootas! Can one be in Shiva's presence so easily?! Well the live streaming makes it just a tad easier ;)

    Hope you get to go - everyone at home is always itching to go to Varanasi. Anjeni was just saying that it's been 3 months since she came back but I'm sure that for her it is toooo long!

    Regards
    Bharat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bharat, words can't express how much joy and pride we've felt while reading your blogs, especially this one. As you very rightly pointed out Kashi is absolutely special to our family. How blessed you are that you were almost born there! Shivji's Grace is upon you and always will...Yes, just 3 months now that I am away from there and I feel that a part of me is missing and I yearn to go back...

    Watching the live Darshan of Sri Kashi Vishvanathji temple is indescribable. So many memories carrying with them intense emotions flood the mind and heart. Having Darshan online makes me feel blessed to see Him again and again. I pray that He purifies me and grants me devotion to His feet so that I can continue having His Darshan and going to His city and with His Grace maybe one day realise Him. May He bless us all...
    anjeni

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your insightful, interesting and enlightening experiences bhaiji. I thoroughly enjoyed the read and am looking forward to your other blogs. Ishen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jai Shri Rama!

    Thank you very much! How are you and the family keeping? It has been ages! The next time you are in Durban please let me know!

    ReplyDelete