24 January 2012

Ramblings of a Tired Mind


After yet another late night, the morning after again brought an experience that at the same time amuses, irritates and intrigues me.  I woke up a few times throughout the early hours of the morning but the fatigued body via the nebulous space between the sleep, dream and waking states urged me to get a few more minutes of sleep.  Disjointed dreams unremembered interspersed the futile attempts to wake up.

As the time got closer to (and passed) the latest time I should get up to go to work, the more important the current dream seemed and the greater the imperative to see it to conclusion.  Being hurriedly awakened by my spouse I snapped out of the dream and completely forgot it and why it was important as I rushed to get ready to go to work.  It was not the first time that this happened - not sure if I can make it a general rule but close and habitual night-owl friends of mine also claim to have had similar post sleep deprivation phase experiences.

Even though I was irritated with myself for getting up late (it is very rare that I actually chastise myself for sleeping late in the first place), while going through the motions of the morning routine the unobtrusive observer/commentator within mused on the recent series of events.  Despite not remembering the dream there was the sense that it wasn't important/significant in and of itself.  It concluded that the importance was given to it by the body/mind to ensure that its need was fulfilled ie to get rest so that it can survive the punishment it was being put through.

Not a novel revelation (for the lack of a better word) by any means, nor are the extensions of thought that were educed from it.  But as with many things, the clarity and import of it varies with time.  How many things do we consider vital in our life that are really insignificant?  What is it that makes us consider them important and why?  And why do we continue considering them important even after moments of realisation that they are not?

Maybe more clarification will come the next time I sleep in late!

No comments:

Post a Comment